The Ford Piquette Avenue plant is located in an area known as Milwaukee Junction.
Milwaukee Junction was the emerging automobile industry's central location after the turn of the last century. By 1910, Ford and nearby Everitt-Metzger-Flanders (E-M-F) were the world's largest auto makers. Other area auto plants included Anderson Electric, Brush, Cadillac, Dodge, Hupp, Packard, and Regal.
Their suppliers also chose Milwaukee Junction and it soon became the hub for Detroit's parts, and auto body manufacturing industry. By the 1920s, Milwaukee Junction was Detroit's industrial heartbeat.
Early auto manufacturers relied on auto body suppliers to provide them with completed bodies. Milwaukee Junction was a center for auto body production. Wood bodies originated with the carriage making trade in which Detroit was a leading producer. The need for more strength combined with lighter weight led early on to the development of steel and even aluminum body panels. Milwaukee Junction became well known for its stamping and metal fabricating capabilities.
Milwaukee Junction takes its name from the 1858 intersection of two railroad systems: Detroit & Milwaukee; and Chicago, Detroit & Canada Grand Trunk Junction. These railroads provided connections to other railroads throughout the United States and Canada. Easy access to this national distribution system was one of the reasons Milwaukee Junction flourished as an automotive manufacturing center.